Do you know the correct reflexes to adopt to be a good “eco-driver”? In this weekend of big departures and traffic jams, here are some tips to limit your consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.
La marseillaise à pétanque 2022, 61st edition of the world championship
And you, do you practice ecological driving? “We drive at 110 or 115 km/h, no more“says a vacationer on the way to vacation”.We too, on the other hand, have to have a trailer, with three children.“, recognizes a mother of a family”.We bought an electric car.“, nous confie un autre conducteur. L’écoconduite: une somme de bonnes habitudes à prendre pour réduire sa consommation de carburant, à la fois pour diminuer sa facture d’essence, mais aussi pour prendre soin de l’environnement autant que faire se can.
To raise awareness among motorists, this Saturday, July 23, an event took place at the Beaune-Tailly motorway service area, on the very busy A6 motorway that connects Paris to the Côte d’Azur via Burgundy.
Here are some eco-driving tips:
- Use a trailer instead of a roof box, if you have a lot of luggage! In fact, the roof box significantly increases wind resistance. Therefore, more fuel is needed to “push” the car. A roof box can increase your consumption between 10 and 20%.
- Inflate your tires well before leaving : Under-inflated tires, in addition to being dangerous for driving, increase fuel consumption by between 3 and 6%.
- Turn down the air conditioning… But you prefer air conditioning to open windows : a car driving with all the windows down loses aerodynamics and therefore also increases its fuel consumption. On the other hand, the stronger the air conditioning, the more power it requires from the car. It is recommended to set it 7 to 8 degrees below room temperature.
- Try to avoid traffic jams : getting out of phase, before or after the others, will save you from playing the accordion in traffic jams. The incessant starts and stops consume a lot of energy and pollute a lot.
- Don’t drive too fast! Comme les conducteurs précédemment interrogés, plus on roule vite, plus on consomme… D’autant qu’une conduite trop “sportive”, sur des routes bondées lors des grands départs en vacances, peut très vite s’avérer dangereuse pour soi et for the others. Also remember to shift smoothly, without pushing the engine “all the way” before moving up a gear. This will save you, incidentally, on the fuel bill, which these days is not negligible: diesel is still around two euros per liter.