Snapchat has just taken a new step in its progress in France. Its audience, certified by the ACPM for 3 years for the Médiamétrie measure, has just reached a new key threshold: 25 million users per month, or 47% of French netizens, consulted Snapchat at least once in January 2022 and 18 million users per day, or 40% of French netizens, consulted it on average every day in January 2022.
These figures have been constantly changing for 2 years. Monthly unique visitors increased by 26%between 2020 and 2022, and daily unique visitors increased by 32% during the same period. This makes Snapchat 4the Most visited app daily.
Other notable figures revealed by Médiamétrie:
- #1 Snapchat App – Most Visited Daily by 15-49 and 15-34
- snapchat is 3the most used social platform in France
- 94% penetration between 15-24 years in France
Who are the Snapchat users?
For the first time since its launch in France, Snap wanted to reveal the profile of French Snapchatters in detail. This generation, marked by two particularly difficult years, acts in harmony with its values and disrupts many aspects of our way of life.
authenticity comes first
Snapchatters are authentic, true to nature, and rooted in the moment. In fact, the study reveals that Snapchat allows Snapchatters to safely be natural and free to share and create as soon as they feel the need. The top 5 emotions associated with using Snapchat are joy, tolerance, creativity, cohesiveness, and spontaneity.
- 90% of Snapchat users enjoy sharing and celebrating moments of their lives on Snapchat.
- 54% of them consider that having fun has become a more important value.
- 41% of users say that “being yourself” matters to them even more than before the pandemic.
- Snapchat is the number 1 platform where users like to show their life as it is or share unusual and funny moments.
Snap Camera: priority to visual communication and bonds with loved ones
Snapchatters break communication codes with more creative and inclusive means of expression thanks to the camera:
- Snapchat is the most used platform to create content with the camera.
- Almost 3 out of 5 Snapchatters use visual communication to build closer relationships.
- By forging strong bonds, they take care of themselves as 3 out of 4 Snapchatters say that simple contact with their friends is enough to make them happier.
- 96% of users have used some form of visual communication when messaging their friends.
Augmented reality: entertainment and utility
Augmented reality has evolved from the first rabbit and dog ear glasses, to entertain and entertain loved ones. Today, augmented reality has become this virtual layer added to our real world to serve various useful purposes.
As commerce evolves, Snapchat users are embracing a more immersive shopping experience:
- 86% of them would like to shop with augmented reality, while Snapchat is the most popular platform for sharing shopping sessions.
- Augmented reality allows Snapchatters to further explore and experiment with their style: 77% of Snapchatters would be willing to use AR to try on makeup or clothes.
- They are also 1.5 times more likely than non-Snapchat users to have ever used augmented reality to try on makeup or clothes.
- 67% of Snapchatters are in favor of measures taken for the greater good. They are 2.2 times more likely to use augmented reality shopping tools to reduce their environmental impact.
Snapchat continues to settle definitively in the digital uses of the French. The platform transforms both communication between individuals, where the visual plays a central role, and the relationship with brands, thanks to a more democratized use of augmented reality than ever. This is no longer just limited to recreational use, but becomes a real decision-making tool before a purchase.
” Since its inception, Snapchat’s mission has been to provide an authentic space where its community can express themselves naturally and safely. Opening the app directly on the camera allows for quick visual communication and helps build closer bonds. This secure environment, coupled with the rich content we offer to our community, leads to the continued growth of our audience in France. French Snapchatters have also embraced the daily use of augmented reality, which is now an integral part of Snapchat. Over the years, it has evolved from entertainment to utility, with incredible potential to improve the way we live, learn, explore, create or shop. »
David Sourenian, Director of Marketing Science Europe, Snap Inc.
” Thanks to a unique system in Europe, Médiamétrie, a neutral and independent trusted third party, measures all the behavior of French people on the web. Thus, the Internet Global measurement publishes the audiences of the top 6,000 brands and top 1,000 apps in France to allow our clients to better manage their editorial and advertising strategy. Driven by internet use in France, primarily on mobile devices (nearly ¾ of global browsing time), Snapchat’s daily audience increased by 32% in two years, while at the same time the number of daily mobile users only increased by one 4 %. »
Bertrand Krug, Digital and Press Director of Médiamétrie
Photo by Alexander Shatov on Unsplash